These vegan blueberry muffins SO tasty and have no refined sugar or dairy; they’re made with coconut oil and maple syrup.
A few months ago, we received this email from reader Rochelle: “I want to make healthy blueberry muffins this weekend but can’t find a good recipe anywhere.
How to make vegan blueberry muffins
These vegan blueberry muffins are incredibly tasty and are a total crowd pleaser! With a hint of turmeric, they have a beautiful golden color too. Since there’s still quite a bit of sugar in them, these muffins can be considered healthy-ish — but there are a lot of features that make them a healthier choice than most blueberry muffins!
And to top them off, we added lemon zest for a little brightness, and turbinado sugar for a sparkly, crunchy topping. They come out perfectly moist, with a nuanced flavor and seriously tangy pockets of blueberries. Overall, we think they’re everything that you could want in a muffin! We’d love to know if we’ve hit the mark: let us know in the comments below what you think.
These vegan blueberry muffins so tasty and have no refined sugar or dairy; they’re made with coconut oil and maple syrup.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 6 ounces frozen or fresh blueberries
- Turbinado sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare muffin tins with liners or non-stick spray.
- If using frozen blueberries, place them in a bowl and cover them with cold water to defrost while completing the first steps of the recipe.
- Melt the coconut oil, then cool it to room temperature. In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the coconut oil and maple syrup until well combined. Add applesauce and vanilla and mix again until combined. (Note that if the coconut oil is too warm or if you leave the bowl unattended, it may solidify. If so, simply reheat the entire mixture and whisk together again until fully combined.)
- Sift together 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, and turmeric in a bowl. Add the flour mixture in 1/4 increments to the wet mixture alternating with 1/4 of the milk. Stir in the lemon zest.
- If using fresh blueberries, wash them; if using frozen berries, drain. Dry the berries with paper towels, then add them to a medium bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. This will keep blueberries suspended in the batter while baking, instead of sinking to the bottom. Gently fold blueberries and flour into the batter mixture, then spoon it into muffin tins (12 large or 24 mini) and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes (large/standard muffins) or 25 to 30 minutes (mini muffins), until a toothpick comes out clean. Let stand in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/turmeric-vegan-healthy-blueberry-muffins/